Yesterday, I did a 2nd pass with the pulser and got some good results (for me). I think it looks pretty good! I definitely have to work on getting the puddle going faster and moving along the joint but all in time. The biggest thing with framebuilding I’ve had to learn is PATIENCE. The more you have, the more it pays off in the end.
The heatsinks helped a lot…i reamed the ST/HT and BB and didn’t have to put much effort at all into those. Much less than my frame I made in Kopp’s class. I think we burned through his ST reamer with my seattube alone!
The brazons went well…learned a lot about heat control in a short time. I wasted too much silver on the cable guides, but by the time I got to the disc brake cable brazons I was feeling the groove and seeing when to add the rod…and it slinked in there like butter on a little chocolate donut. I am starting to ‘get it’, at least for silver brazing, which seems relatively easy it seems compared to fillet brazing with brass. I still have to brass braze the rear dropouts to the stays but I’m waiting for some supplies from Hank. Other than that this frame and fork is done! To explain, yes, I should’ve brazed the rear drop outs on LONG ago, but I tig-tacked them to the stays and thought I’d be able to silver braze them on…or not. The Paragon drops I’m using are not stainless (like the sliding drops) and that’s a good thing right now since my practice brazing went very poorly – i must’ve wasted $50 in silver in less than 10 minutes…seriously. Filling big gaps with silver is harder than I thought! Silver rod is extremely expensive right now, so it’s not a good time to learn.